Thursday 25 October 2012

Creating a Parasite.

One task was to create a life cycle of a creature. Using a Parasite, I formed a cycle.
I wanted to ground it in real life as much as possible, so I looked into Parasitic Castration and Cordyceps.


I abandoned the idea of parasitic worms for something more horrible. The fungus (which led me to the Cordyceps). After the parasite infects the host, it (if female) becomes impregnated. I was going to add in Hyperemesis gravidarum, but thought against it, as a mark of respect to people who suffer this illness in real life. I'm all for reality in projects, but for a small task where I have designed something as sinister as what you are about to see, I had to turn it down. It is a very horrible illness. I personally know someone who suffered through this and has had two beautiful, healthy boys. 
Now back to the task!
The host dies in labour, leaving a child who is carrying the illness from birth. Females carry the parasitic fungus, whilst males carry the spores, which are secreted in place of Pheromones, spreading the disease through the air. This process results in the end of humanity.
We had to give a factor of, "Eww" if someone was to see it in a film. I thought, "What's worse than a parasite attacking a defenseless child? Well, attacking a defenseless child in utero," which is what is shown above. The Umbilical cord attaches to the fungus, which produces it's own cord into the child, passing on the illness.

All very nasty stuff, and I'm probably going to hell as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment