Saturday 6 October 2012

CHARACTER DESIGN!

Character design is part of our project/assignment. So we were tasked with designing a scary creature. As I have a distaste of moths, I modelled my creature on that. And I must admit, I had a bloody good time doing it! I used a couple different sources to do quick research. Mostly, I looked at Mothra, a giant moth that fights Godzilla, the Giant Moth from Resident Evil 2 (by Capcom) and the Pokémon, Venomoth. They gave me a basis to create a rough sketch of my design (the top image) of which it is destroying a city, setting it aflame with it's napalm-dust, foaming at the mouth with rabies.
From here I wanted to ground the creature in a semblance of reality and looked for the biggest moth I could find. The Atlas Moth, the largest moth in the (actual) world. Looking at a photo of it, I was disgusted. It wasn't the horrible earth tones you see on a house moth, no. It was a disgusting blend of orange and red, with a dab of yellow, and a pattern that would make you swear it was going to maul your face off in a second. Urgh... That was the worst part of it.
Regardless, I powered through, laughing about Mothra and my original name idea of "Fucking Huge Moth", something I would abandon and later call "No Gusta Heterocera", then gave a brief, ambiguous back story, which can be seen on the bottom image.



No comments:

Post a Comment