Saturday 6 October 2012

ASSIGNMENT IMAGES

For the assignment, we are to create no less than 4 creatures/animals, no less than 5 scene assets or props and an ecosystem/environment for the film.

Within my film, there are warring corporations in a futuristic/cyberpunk world.
One of the corporations I am focusing on is called Van Laaq.
I set about designing logos that will be present on the corporation's buildings and uniforms. It went through several iterations until I found a version I liked.



Left side of the image shows corporate ideas.It started as a military style emblem with the initials emblazoned  on it. I knocked this idea back, as it was too generic. The idea behind these corporations are that they have replaced the government and need to have a recognised symbol of their own. Something I wanted was for the first word, "Van" to be shown. It became apparent that the best way to join the letters up would be vertically, allowing me to create an eye-catching design. So began trial and error, using line vector style, but I thought that it would not be easily read. When I began further experimentation, I found that adding an "N" would prove quite difficult. I came to a decent version with a diamond replacing the - inside the A. Still, I thought this was lacking the eye-catching design I wanted. I began to think about what the corporation would do. Why that would cause rivals to attack. They war is from breaching copyrights, something they take very seriously, similar to an act of treason or terrorism by today's standards. As it is cyberpunk, they deal in human upgrades. Chip implementation. So they deal in human science. The Double-Helix of the DNA became a design focus. I drew out a double-helix and thought how I could make it say "VAN". Using a thicker line I created the A. Now came the task of making an N. I thought that with them altering humans, possible the DNA would be altered? So I made a "mutation strand" which allowed an N to form, thus creating a logo for Van Laaq Science.
Next came the agent logo. I wanted it to differ from the main company logo to show that, although they are part of the same group, they are a totally different branch. They don't deal in human alteration, unless you count blowing of limbs and filling them full of lead as alteration. I used the DNA design with a previous iteration, but still didn't like the look. I took an approach with a Medic style symbol, making VAN out of snakes, but thought it seemed a bit "Life Saving". I kept the idea of snakes, though. I created an image of two snakes interlocking. Although I liked it, I didn't see how it would convey Van Laaq. But if I changed the order of the links, I saw that it would, in a way, spell VAN. One snake being the V, the other being the A, with the space inbetween being an N.

No comments:

Post a Comment