Sunday 21 October 2012

Assignment Things!

For the second design of the APC, I came up with this! Showing how I want the legs to function, design drawings of them, where they're hinged and what not, a design for a Pilot/Driver (with helmet), a little detail about the APC and a little guy to the side to show scale. I realised it would be moving more like a crab that a spider, however.

I watched how ED-209 from Robocop walked for a design idea I had for the "Walker Class" droid, the Type 4.

This drawing shows different types of the battle droids. Type 4 "Walker Class" Battle Droid (as seen in a walk research piece above) and the Type 5 "Walker Class" Assault Droid. The Assault Droid has 3 "bones" to it's leg, where as the the Battle Droid has 2. My idea for this would be the Assault Droid would want to be fast moving and the 3 bones would allow for a sort of shock absorption as it moves fast.
I also went into alternate weapon designs for the Battle Droid. As it is more slow moving, heavy weapons would be stable enough to use, and as a Battle Droid would be used as mobile artillery, a lot like modern tanks, it would fight against other vehicles as well as troops. As such, I designed a Rail Gun (high energy), Las Cannon (Mid energy), Rocket Pods (with KRAK rounds) and the (as it seems for my designs) standard Vulcan Cannon.

Whilst researching my initial design for the APC, I studied Spiders, how they moved, their main features and what not.
 
I drew half of a spider (in this case, a tarantula) and made the other half a mechanoid/APC. This shows how I changed it's features into what I wanted, the Chelicera became Vulcan cannons, the Pedipalp became stabilizing legs and the Abdomen became the troop carrier.



I drew a rough sketch of the Tyne Bridge (Newcastle) and thought, how would it look in the Year 2076 if corporations took over the world? Keeping with the Cyberpunk feel, I looked towards Tron: Legacy art, which inspired the neon light sections, and the straight edges of the bridge. I wanted to keep the iconic Arch look, but take it into the future. It became a kind of pyramid, an indirect reference to the Illuminati, a symbol of power and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment