Saturday 7 December 2013

Sod's Law

You know when they tell you to back your files up?
I do that! But did you know that when transferring files from a Portable HDD and the power goes off, cutting it's connection, there's a chance of corrupting your files, or even ruining your HDD.

Well, my 2TB HDD is RUINED. Whilst in the process of preparing the final stages of my VFX project, having taken snapshots of my Node Pipeline and everything... GONE.

I managed to save a couple files, images, a few videos, a couple shots which were backed up from a previous session, but the rest. Gone. I'm having to redo the Pipeline images with the footage I have managed to save.

Thankfully, I had already backed up the final video and breakdown video, plus uploaded them to Youtube and my blog (PHEW!)

To make matters worse, I thought my Desktop PC's motherboard was fried and needing replaced.
It was a matter of taking out and replacing (I.E. putting them back, not buying new ones) the RAM. I had tried to put the portable HDD into my PC as a mounted Storage device to reclaim my files, but that didn't work. I went to Maplin, Leeds Central (big thanks, guys! You helped me out to no end!) to get a SATA/IDE HDD Adapter, to turn any HDD into a USB read portable HDD, but sadly that didn't work.
I tested 4 HDDs out to make sure the cables were fine. The C: from my Desktop, that worked. The D: (a 2TB HDD for storage in my Desktop) and that worked. An old 2.5" 40GB HDD from my PS3 before upgrading the drive, that worked too! But the original portable HDD was dead.
Looks like I have some new Necromunda terrain ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment