Saturday 7 December 2013

L5 Post Production and Visual Effects Technical Report

This Project was a massive learning experience for me. Not only was it the first time I used Nuke X, but made me realise just how easy it is to underestimate the amount of work you will be doing. Below I have supplied my Gantt Chart and Storyboards.

The first three weeks was spent preparing for the pitch presentation which included miniatures I would be using (one of which made it into the final piece, the Ember Shrine), the storyboard (below) and showing what inspirations I had for the project (also below).
I began researching digital matte painting using Digital Tutors videos.
When I started to look at Houdini, I required more tutorials, using Youtube (there were only a few useful to me, personally) and Digital Tutors once again. Houdini was used in Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, which was one of my inspirations for one of the sequences I wanted to make, but was one of the sequences that was ultimately too much for me to do.
The couple weeks for worst case scenarios came in handy. I was having a couple issues working on three projects, and around the week 5/6 mark was when other presentations were needing finalised. Plus, trying to book the Blue Screen room around two work schedules and other room pre-bookings was tricky. I eventually got the footage shot in about Week 7/8.
Compositing the footage together was tricky, for a multitude of reasons. I had recorded the footage in PAL and the footage was Interlaced, resulting in poor quality final footage. The Blue Screen was poorly set meaning lots of folds were tough to key out. I used markers for props, so we knew where to look/focus and where to place hands and where to stand, which led to LOTS of Rotoscoping.
I managed to get the footage put together, then do the breakdown video showing how bits were made.
THEN THE WORST OF WORST CASE SCENARIOS HAPPENED. As mentioned in a previous post, I lost 90% of footage, WHILST BACKING IT UP TO MY LAPTOP!!! This was a major set back, made slightly less worse by me having already backed up the final video and breakdown video, plus uploading to the blog and Youtube. Small victories!



These links are also found in my Blog, 
 http://chrismcewananimation.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/a-couple-pieces-to-keep-in-mind-for-vis.html



The last two frames of this storyboard had been shot, but were ultimately not used. The sequences would have been too advanced for my skills and the time I had available to composite.


This board shows the "Scott Pilgrim" sequence. Inspired by the Roxy Richter fight scene, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h7PHXCLjel8#t=72
But instead of the disco ball glass showing the reaction shots, it was the bullet in the magazine as it spun through the air, showing Chris, Mike and a Zombie before the magazine was loaded and the zombie shot.

If the full storyboard had been composited, the video would run for about 2 minutes. I'm going to keep a hold of the storyboard, as I may just animate it during some downtime, like Christmas or Summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment